Monday, May 19, 2008

Our New Home

Our new home - 3 bedrooms 2 baths, one workshop (basement), 2 car garage. The land, which you can't see in this picture, needs a lot of work because it's overgrown with vines and stuff. Tom is doing the grunt work clearing it (and loving it - can you say chainsaw AND fire?) and I can't wait to plant beautiful trees, flowers and bushes - we are planning a small paradise...
View of the house as you walk up from the river. We LOVE our two decks so much on the house that Tom had to build another one by the river! See below.
This is the view to the right when standing on the deck by the river. Bee-u-ti-ful. I haven't yet made friends with the horses next door - there is a foal and the mother is still a bit nervous every time I approach. The deck that Tom built - we've named it Jackson Square after one of my fave places in New Orleans. The deck is my favorite place to sit b/c it overlooks the river and it's so peaceful. We often see deer. The dogs swim and I read or just chill - for me, this bliss. Didn't Tom do an amazing job? I'm so proud. View from the river looking up toward the house - Tom has been clearing the land b/c it is overgrown with wild roses - sounds pretty, but it just means that the thorny vines have taken over everything - they practically smothered 3 Dogwood trees which we were thrilled to find! So that's why some of the land is charred - Tom likes doing 'controlled burns'. I've already planted a rose garden (not pictured) by the deck.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hey, B., what's the name of the river? (Can you guess who's asking--yup, my dad.)

Jackson Square looks lovely! I hope we can do some relaxing there come August.

How about some interior pics?

See my blog for a pic of our new counters. There's more progress to report--including the installation of the sinks, lighting, and the clawfoot tub, but it's all been a bit eclipsed by the copper-theft. Le sigh!

Hugs to you. We're missing you terribly, of course.

Oh: and sing Tom "Happy Birthday" to me, but be sure to do it super-silly and add a goofy interpretive dance for authenticity.

Sarah